Translate

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

the first question...

Last night the big boys in our house were answering questions about their life and their relationship with God for an upcoming missions trip to Texas.

In preparation for the trip the kids need to examine their own lives and write about what the Lord is doing in their life as well as write a short testimony on when their relationship with Jesus began.

These are deep questions for anyone and especially deep for teen boys who don't like to talk about "personal feelings" all that much.

I have totally loved this questionnaire for the missions trip.... 
1. It really gets the boys thinking and praying. 
2. I don't have to fill it out. 
Win-Win on the parent front! 

As they were going through the questions, the very first deep question threw one of our China loves into a deep deep thought... He started biting at his lips, scratching his head, fidgeting in his chair... and before he wrote anything he looked up at me and said, "mom, who is going to read this? Is our youth pastor going to?"
I answered him the best I could and told him I am sure several people from the church staff are going to go over these and yes, I am sure your youth pastor is as well.
He blurted out, "oh man, really!? It's kinda embarrassing." 

I then told him as seriously as I could, "oh yes, then they read it in front of church so the whole church can decide if you should go on the mission trip." 
As he picked up on my sarcasm he said, "oh come on mom, be "really"!" 
(I love his ESOL version of "be serious.")

As the evening went on and an hour or so past, this same son came up to my room and asked me to read what he wrote.

As I read, the memories of our first several months together as mother and son rushed to my heart and mind. There were memories of pain and heartache, and memories of hurt and deep sadness that overwhelmed me. And then came memories of joy and hope and restoration. The healing of a young life that had taken place over the last two years flooded my eyes with tears. 
I looked up at this sweet face and dark eyes peering at me, seeking approval over his English he had so beautifully written. He was not wanting approval over what he wrote but over the grammar and spelling in which he wrote it. 

I could not help but burst into smiles and happy tears. (He is just sort of looking at me like I'm a crazy person... yep that's normal!)

He then connected with what I was so wrecked over and just walked over and gave me a sheepish hug and said; "thanks mom."

This boy, his heart, Our God!!! 
Thank you Jesus for how you Heal lives and transform broken pieces into beautiful works of art. 

*these are my son's own words in his own handwriting in his beautful language that poured from his heart.**

Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. But if you remain in me and my words remain in you, you may ask for anything you want, and it will be granted! When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father. “I have loved you even as the Father has loved me. Remain in my love. When you obey my commandments, you remain in my love, just as I obey my Father’s commandments and remain in his love. I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! This is my commandment: Love each other in the same way I have loved you."- John 15:5-12


**All was shared with our sweet son's permission.**

No comments:

Post a Comment