Translate

Monday, September 14, 2015

the fireman...

"Finally, all of you should be of one mind. Sympathize with each other. Love each other as brothers and sisters. Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude."-1 Peter 3:8

9/11 has come and passed as we remember, and #neverforget, the day that struck our nation to the core. All of us know the time and place of where we were and that will forever be burned in our hearts as we, who were the watchers, stood and stared at a screen, watching in real time an event in history that change our Country and each of us as individuals. 

(Photo credits of Google search 9/11)

Yesterday a group of individuals climbed 110 flights of stairs in memory of the fallen firefighters who climbed UP as others were climbing down. They knew their fate, yet they still kept going. Survivors tell stories of these heroes... The heroes who were encouraging the ones climbing down, those who were just wanting to give up and stop going down, those Heroes would say, "come on, you got it, you can do it, keep going down!" Yet all the while, they were climbing up.

(Photo credits of Google search 9/11)

I cannot even pretend to imagine what that must of been like. I can try to "put myself in their shoes", but really that's not even possible. I simply cannot fathom the horrific scenes or the intense amount of bravery of those Firemen. 

Last night Jon and I were talking about these amazing individuals that are so willing to put their lives before others on a constant daily basis. Each day they go into work they don't know what lies ahead. What possibly might be asked of their lives that day. This goes for all who serve our country, and for that my small "thank you" just simply does not sound like enough gratitude to give. How do you truly say thank you to these heroes? 

(Photo credits: Joey Waddell- Dekalb Fire Department)

My mind drifted as we were talking. To be honest it often does. I have a tendency to lose track of a conversation in about 2 mins... It's not intentional, really! As I wondered away in thought the first thing that popped into my head was "fire insurance". (Yep, that's the truth.) But not in the sense of homeowners insurance, but in the sense of "hell fire and brim stone preachers".

You know those guys all hollering red faced, always looking angry at you. Calling people sinners and waving a bible that they never seem to open but "quote" from all the time... Yeah, so my mind went there. Random, right?!

Well, kinda random.... I have heard so MANY analogies of Christ, Jesus Christ. Being the life saver, being the parachute, etc. you need to be saved so you can have, "fire insurance". 

As I understand these analogies and get their point, I think they're stupid. I just do. But when I think of a fireman and Jesus... Now that's an analogy that's legit. 

Thinking of myself in my darkest of times and lost in the smoke of my existence....Lost in the burning building called my life and desperately wanting to get out but I don't know how. It is so dark, and every single time I try to stand up on my own to figure it out I choke and gasp for air. Every door I try to open burns my hands, every stair well I try to go down is engulfed in flames and I am trapped, stuck in my own self. There I am lost, alone, and scared; I fall to my face... but then, it is only then do I see a light amongst all the shadows. Having nothing left of myself to even reach out to the light coming my way, a hand reaches out to me. I am completely helpless as I surrender my life over to the one reaching for me. There I am, being lifted up by the strength of the rescuer. With a force he searched for me and found me. He has climbed from heaven to earth to save me from the torments of my soul. He pushes through the raging fire and burst forth into the light of day and in an instant I take my first breath. A breath of life and new air. As I turn to thank my fireman, my hero who gave me life, I found a sight my eyes did not expect to see. As he was saving me, his life was not spared. Bringing me to safety he was severely burned, his lungs had filled with strong thick smoke, his body was scarred and lifeless. He gave it all just for me. 

To me, that is the depiction of Christ and his pursuit after me. The only way I could acknowledge my savior's search for me was when I was face to the ground fully surrendered to His saving grace. He died so that I could live and He did this not just for me.

"Of one thing is certain, God story never ends in ashes."- Elizabeth Elliot 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment