Translate

Friday, January 1, 2016

the varsity

On our way down to the Fox Theatre the other day, we treated the entire family to an Atlanta classic, The Varsity.

None of our children had ever been to the original Varsity and thought it was really peculiar that we would pull up to the curb, and have people serve us through the car windows. 
It was quite an interesting experience.
As we pulled up to the curb, we quickly found a group of Varsity employees huddled up, waiting for the next customer.  



An older employee , 84yrs old to be exact, walked up to our car to introduce himself.
His name was Frank and he quickly announced that he had proudly worked for the Varsity for the past 60 years!!

60 years?!?!  I can't even imagine being alive for 60 years much less working for 60 years, much less working at one place for 60 years, much less working at the Varsity for 60 years.  
As we ordered our food, I thought and thought on this matter.  How can he...?  How could he...?  What motivates a man to....?

I don't ever want to turn up the opportunity to teach the kids about work ethic.  I began working for pay when I was 10yrs old and for an hourly wage at 11yrs old.  Work ethic is very important to me and I want to instill this same value into my children.  
And so when Frank came back to the car with our food, I asked him,
"Frank, after 60 yrs of continued service in the same job, at the same business, what advice can you give my five children (motioning to the van full of wide eyed kids) about how you do it?"  "In one sentence, what can you tell them?" I asked. 

I was already prepared to hear things like, "live your dreams", "when the going gets tough", and  "do what you love".  
But Frank, he had something different for us.  

As we looked at Frank, and he smiled at us, he told the kids, "Praise the Lord."

"When you get up, think on Him.  When you go to bed, think of Him.  Above all, Praise Him."

What a message for the masses.  What a message for myself.  As I work today and we head into 2016, I must remember to 'Praise the Lord', because Frank said so.  What great advice is that?  What a deep truth rooted in the simplest of understanding.  Praise the Lord, for he is good. 


Psalm 146:1-2 Praise the Lord! Hallelujah!Praise the Lord, O my soul! While I live I will praise the Lord;I will sing praises to my God as long as I live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment