Translate

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Popsicle???

One morning recently, I was sitting on the porch enjoying my coffee, listening to our six year old JJ playing with some friends in our cul-de-sac. 

The morning couldn't have been better until I saw one of the friends feeling left out and so lashing out shouted, "you can't have any of our snacks or juice!  You can't get any of that at my house anymore."  Now this may not seem like a big deal to us adults but no juice and no snack sharing is the 6 yrs old equivalent of being Unfriended on Facebook.  It is a big deal!


I'm 36.  I'm an adult.  I'm a Christian.  But! I'm short on patience when it comes to matters such as this.  I start to pick sides.  
"Fine!  You want to be that way!  You can't have any of our snacks!", shamefully crosses my mind.  

Reaction vs. Response

I called JJ over and told him that we have plenty of Popsicles, snacks, and water in our garage.  Feeling satisfied I sat back in the rocking chair.  
"Hah!" I thought.  
"If that's the way you want to be then..."  

JJ interrupts me with a yell down the street...

"Hey!  You can come over to my house and have a Popsicle!  We have a whole bunch!  Come on!"


And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 
1 Corinthians 13:13

The love of Christ abounds through the actions of a six year old.  He finds the most humbling ways to teach me.








No comments:

Post a Comment