Translate

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Paws For a Moment

Today I had the honor of reading a story by a young author, seriously young author, only in 8th grade! But the words I read were by no means the typical 8th grade words...

Please read the winning 8th grade entry for the Bartow County School System in the Young Georgia Authors Writing Competition.

Paws For a Moment 
By: McKenna Trapheagen 

It was a quiet evening as I walked into my room with my dog Bailey at my side.  She perched herself on the frame of my bed, wagging her little Corgi tail and begging for me to plop her on the covers.  She stared up at me, patiently waiting for me to jump into bed.   I switched off the lights, and climbed under the blankets as she settled into her usual spot. The faint pitter-patter of rain hit the window and her gentle, steady breathing started putting me to sleep.  As I lay there, I started a conversation with God.  I wondered if he would signal that he was listening.  Through the darkness I saw a comforting glow in my companion’s eyes.  There it was. There was God offering me a sign of his presence.

My mind drifted as I considered what this message was.  Bailey appeared to smile in the way that knowing dogs do.  The light shone on her furry face so softly that the moment seemed suspended, almost like God was saying, “Listen.”  A thought began to form in my mind of how amazing this little dog’s love is for me.  She is always there to greet me.  She never seems to judge me.  She can sense when I need her.  And she just keeps smiling, a little bend in the corners of her mouth that says “I’m happy.  You should be too.”  This is, in a larger sense, how it is with God.

Unburdened by the expectations of the world, Bailey seems to live in the moment. She leads a simple life, seeking only the occasional pat on the head, game of fetch, and a treat.  As I stare back at her, I realize that my own life should follow this example.  I often pursue many goals with a need for reward and the finer things.  Yet there was more here, Bailey not only sought happiness, but also inspired it within me.  It was in this thought that I made the connection between my dog’s view of the world and the one that God would have me seek.  

From here my silent conversation turned toward the past.  I have had many dogs in my life and each has brought me their own unique brand of love.  But one thing remained the same: I was never alone.  These creatures looked upon me with such unconditional affection.  In my thoughts this evening, I’d come to realize that God’s love accompanied me in the same way as my canine companions.  It would never leave me.  It would never turn away from me.  It would never end, even in passing. 

As the time ticked forward, Bailey’s eyes drew heavy with sleep beginning to overtake both of us.  We were content, both aware that my conversation with God was coming to an end.  She cuddled up closer to me and shut her eyes.  I was thankful for her unspoken wisdom.  My ears could not hear it, but my heart understood it perfectly.  No longer resisting sleep, I gave God the last word, and he whispered, “You are loved.”


"And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. "-Romans 8:38

No comments:

Post a Comment