Translate

Thursday, November 27, 2014

thanksgiving day

Anyone who has met me knows right off that I haven't missed too many meals.  Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever missed any, and am certain I have had a few extra.
But we have a son in our house whose mouth will always bear the scars of having teeth rotted out from malnutrition.  Letters from his grandparents describing him going days without food also attest to the depravity.
These letters weren't written 100 year ago.  These teeth didn't rot out in a past lifetime.  This happened within the last ten years.  And not in a third world country either, but in a booming, industrial country.  This happened in China.

As our 59lbs,  thirteen year old son arrived in the US last year, we were quickly reminded that we have so much to be thankful for.  Yet, one of the things we most often forget about is being thankful for the opportunity to do something about it. 
It was awesome running a 5k this morning with my love and with an incredible group of people (Shout Out to our Firman Fitness Family!!) who care so much for others, knowing that out entry fee was canned goods to help feed hungry people.  

One of my favorite authors said,
"We ask God, 'why are so many people dying of starvation?'
He has more of a right to ask us why so many people are starving."
-Francis Chan

Happy Thanksgiving.  What an opportunity to make such a difference in the life of another.  I know someone who invested everything he had in me, and I'm worthless.
Imagine if that care, love, and compassion was played out through our lives into someone else.  The results would be life changing.  

There are so many more people starving in this world.  I know because I have been with them.  From the Sioux reservations in Montana, to the caves in Luoning, China, there are still hungry people that need our help.  What are we going to do about it?  

There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.
-Mahatma Ghandi






No comments:

Post a Comment